Friday, July 26, 2013

Still Haven't Figured Out Malaysian Toilets

   The past few days have been a broad mixture of confusion, embarrassment, happiness, and excitement. I've continuously made a fool out of myself, but I think I'm coming to realize its physically impossible to enter a foreign culture for a year and never be embarrassed. Thankfully, my family is understanding and patient with my white American girl ways and are great helping hands when I need it. For example, in Malaysia it is common to eat rice with the tips of your fingers and this was a foreign idea to me. After trial and error I figured it out (somewhat), but my family still chuckles and corrects me. 


And don't even get me started on the toilets.  


    Also in the past few days I visited another beach. This one was a bit more populated, but cantik nonetheless. At this beach- still in Kuantan- there were many shops and Kiosks (including McDonalds because capitalism finds its way to anywhere) and we stopped at a small table giving henna tattoos. 
Malaysian henna on the beach, does it get any cooler?!


     Needless to say, I love the beaches in Malaysia. I would indubitably spend all of my time there if I could. Ibu said we can go there on my birthday, which is super awesome due to the fact that my last birthday was pretty much spent in isolation in my house because of a huge snowstorm in Indiana. 

My siblings and I at the beach!

    Now, I am at my grandparents home spending another night here. We will break fast here. The past two days I have been fasting with my family, but today I felt exhausted and dizzy from the heat and decided not to push myself. When others told me they had fasted with their families I assumed it would be an easy think to do. Oh, I was so wrong. While it definitely opened my eyes to a new perspective, It was difficult for me to do for even just two days. I give sooo much respect for those with the tolerance and self-control to fast every year for Ramadan. However, I decided I want to continue fasting again tomorow. 

    This morning I helped my grandma make noodles for tonight's dinner. I have clumsy hands that constantly broke and dropped the slippery noodles, but even though she cannot speak any English, she taught me how just by showing me. I thought this was pretty amazing. Three cheers for over-coming language barriers!
 Priceless. 
Finished!



Last but not least, my awesome brother, Abong Ngah.  (Soy Sauce.) Proudly repping Indiana. (:



I'm going to go lay in front of a fan, because Malaysia is HOT. 



Sincerely,

A melting Kaley. (:





2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you Kaley/Courtlyn! : ) You go girl! Love, Mrs. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Protip: cantik is for people, indah is for places/nonliving things ;)

    ReplyDelete

Any comments or Questions? Feel free to ask here!