Monday, August 5, 2013

I'm sorry I'm Lazy and Don't Write Enough but Malaysia is Really Awesome


   I think I've been procrastinating writing a blog post because I'm lazy but I figure its better to write it now so I don't have a ton of events to catch up on later. Well, to begin, I started school. I have to wear a blue and white baju kurung, which is very conservative since my school is 100% Muslim students. To be totally honest, school is a lot different than I expected. The attention I get is overwhelming and exciting all at once. As I walk down the hallway, younger girls yell my name and wave. Because many students in my school only speak a little bit of English, I have insane respect for those who make the attempt to converse with me.  
(My parents, younger sister, and I. I am wearing my school uniform, the traditional baju kurung.)
(All of the exchange students in the Kuantan chapter)


     And on the note of language, all of my classes are taught in Bahasa Melayu, which makes for an interesting day. (When I don't understand what's happening I just make up a fake scenario in my head.). I really hope that as my language skills progress, as does my ability to understand what is happening in class, because at this point school can only be used as a culture learning resource and not an academic resource. However, some Malay words have very close siblings so instead of saying "I'm tired."  I wound up saying "I'm pregnant." Oops!

     

       Several days ago, my oldest brother came home from University for Hari Raya. Hari Raya is a long Muslim celebration directly following Ramadan which is this upcoming Thursday. Hari Raya is a huge festivity based holiday full of eating and visiting others open houses, as well as wearing beautiful traditional clothing. Because of this, my school is on a two week vacation. WOO! Unfortunately, several days ago I became sick with some type of stomach flu and had to break fast for a few days, but I'm feeling better now and plan to finish Ramadan fasting. Because puasa has been so much harder than I thought, it has been eye opening experience and I honestly think everyone should do it at least once in their life, whether they follow Islam or not. Truthfully, I thought it would be something simple and easy, but fasting gave me a personal insight and empathy for how hard it is for those who can't eat or drink because they aren't given the opportunity, as well as a huge amunt of respect for Muslims who do it yearly. When I return to America, I hope to fast again for all of Ramadan. 

     The past week has been very routine of helping Ibu make Raya desserts and going to family's house to break fast. 
(Me and Eboy helping make((and eat)) pavlova )
(Breaking fast at a football field in front of the Mosque)
(The beautiful State-Mosque.)
(Me and my little brother and neighbors at the field, breaking fast.)

  Last but not least, when I was at the field to break fast, there was a group of guys, all with really nice DSLR cameras. They were all looked incredibly shocked to see me and started tapping on each others shoulders saying "oran putih" which translates to "white person". Then, next thing I know, they're all taking pictures of me. It was halairious and embarrassing and awesome all at the same time. 

     Hopefully, today I will be going out with my two oldest host brothers. Better go get ready!(:


Sincerely, 
Kaley. 
     



5 comments:

  1. where is your current school now???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce Chew is asking about you, Kaley. I'll tell him about your blog. You look as if you are enjoying your experience. I'll keep checking back.
    Ms. Jan Forbes

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow ^^ i'm proud to be malaysian ^^ mind fllw my blog..

    ReplyDelete

Any comments or Questions? Feel free to ask here!