Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Kaley Boleh!

     "Home sweet home."

     I'm so excited to finally be in my home away from home. My family is so welcoming and it makes me feel like a part of them already. My little sister and brothers have been very patient with teaching me Bahasa Malaysia. They call me "Kak Kaley" or "Kak Umaira". I have two older brothers, two younger brothers and one younger sister. All of them have been so extremely patient with my attempts at learning Bahasa Malaysia and attempts to teach them English. I am extremely thankful for this because while it may take me a while, I am very determined to end my year conversationally fluent in addition to learning the culture. 
(Abang Ngah and I looking at the beauuuutiful beach in Kuantan) 

     Among other things, I have helped cook desserts, bought matching Baju Kurungs with my little sister, gone to the beach, and  learned how to properly eat rice with my hands. Also, I have met many elders whom which I had to learn to "Salam" which is a traditional greeting showing respect. In America, when greeting someone, you shake hands or hug, which is extremely different in comparison to Malaysia, where hugs seem rare, especially between two people of opposite gender. In addition to learning these things I have taught Adik (little brother) how to play something on the piano. He is such a quick learner, it's definitely awesome.  

(Helping Ibu and a neighbor make tulip tarts for Hari Raya, a Muslim celebration for the end of fasting)
(Breaking fast at grandmothers house)



    Finally, I have begun the process of immersing myself into the day to day life of my family. Since it is Ramadan for Muslim families, they fast. This means no food or drink from sun up to sun down. The first several days I have been in Malaysia, jet lag had the better of me, making me feel extremely fatigued and famished thus I decided to wait to begin fasting with my family. Today is my first day of puasa, and let me tell you, it's been harder than I thought it would be. Hunger is easy to deal with, but the heat here makes me so thirsty. However, I am determined to successfully finish the day and make to the breaking of fast around 7:00pm tonight. Soon my family and I will go to get food for the breaking of fast, which we will go to a relatives house to have.  I hope we get desserts because Malaysian desserts are sooo delicious. :D





Kaley boleh!  




P.S One of my first meals with my Malaysian family was macaroni. It was awesome. 

    

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you would try Ramadan I knew it was around this time of year. I don't think I could do the drink part. When is it over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you would try Ramadan I knew it was around this time of year. I don't think I could do the drink part. When is it over?

    ReplyDelete

Any comments or Questions? Feel free to ask here!