Thursday, July 18, 2013

Long Airplane Flights are Fun (says no one)

     As I left the final airplane in my chain of flights to Malaysia, I noticed I was instantly greeted with so many new overwhelming feelings. 

Happy to finally be here...exhaustion from long flights...anxiety that this exchange will be harder than I thought...excited to meet my host family soon, but most of all, reality. I don't know if you can classify "reality" as a feeling, but I definitely felt it. 

     Sitting on a bus on the way to Kuala Lampur with several other AFS YES Abroad kids, I looked out the window in disbelief. Mostly just because everything we had spent so much time on preparing for is finally really happening. Reality starts to set it the minute you see the massive palm trees arching over the roads and the beautiful buildings that are so similar yet so very different than that of the United States. This beautiful new place will be my home for a year, and I'm very proud to say so. 

     Now I sit in my hotel room which is located in the heart of Kuala Lampur, the Capitol of Malaysia. Even as a westernized hotel, there remain many differences compared to hotels in the USA. 
     
     The next several days hold many orientations to help me and my fellow AFS-ers to adjust successfully to our new homes and cultures. My roommate for the next few days is an Austrian girl exchanging to Malaysia also. These next few days will be so interesting. I also finally get to meet my host family on July 21st... (I'm probably most excited for that, hehe.) 


    Well for now I am leaving with several other students to explore Kuala Lampur! 

(My view of KL from my hotel room)


Until next time,


-Kaley 

1 comment:

Any comments or Questions? Feel free to ask here!