Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chapter Two

   As I said in my last blog post, I am now living in a new family in the town of Pasir Mas, Kelantan. I've been here for a few days now, and I've enjoyed it nonstop. I live in a huge family that all live on the same property together, so we often all mix around and visit all 4 houses. 
    Perhaps one of the most incredible things about is new family is that Pasir Mas is located just maybe 30 minutes fom the border of Thailand, so many of my family members are able to not only speak Malay, and English but also Thai. And on the note of language, I'd like to take is moment to say I've progressed quite a bit in my Malay but I still have so much to learn. Ecsepcially now, living in the state of Kelantan, they have their own special dialect of Malay, that sounds almost incomprehensible to foreigners. 
   Kelantan is very different from Kuantan in many ways. When I arrived here, I felt like I was in a different country. Kelantan is an Islamic state, so it is much less liberal than Kuantan. For example, it is a law that all women on poster billboards wear the hijab, regardless if the woman is of Islamic faith or not. Also, everything is written in two languages, Malay and Arabic. 
    However, I have been placed in a very open-minded highly critical thinking family. They are indeed dedicated Muslims, but they're beliefs consist of a different view of Islam that I have found to be quite fascinating and different. 
    In Malaysia, the longest school holiday is during the rainy season, from late November to the beginning of the new year. So currently, I am enjoying a relaxed few weeks with my family, no school, sleeping in late and eating delicious roti and nasi krabus for breakfast. 

   Also, as thanksgiving is tomorow, all of the Americans met in Kuala Lumpur to eat a delicious Thanksgiving feast at the US Embassy. It was so perfect, it made my tastebuds nostalgic! And since Thanksgiving is so near, I'd like to take this moment to give my thanks to the many people who deserve it. 

Firstly, I am speechlessly greatful for KL-YES Abroad and the incredible scholarship they have provided me. I wouldn't be here without it.

I am thankful for AFS and more specifically the people in AFS that have supported me and helped me. 

I am thankful for the beauty of second chances. 

I am greatful for the undeniable change stirring inside of me like a melting pot of ingredients  made of knowledge, spiritual insight, and worldly perspective. 

I am thankful for my family. Not just in America, but in Malaysia and within the YES community. Your support is so important to me...but you already know that. :) 

And I am thankful for the life I live and anyone who has contributed positively towards it. I think too often we only realize how thankful for something we are when we no longer have it. However, living an international life has really shown me that it is vital to live a thankful life everyday, not just during holidays, or when wonderful things happen, or even when we realize our wonderful things are gone. Everyday should be a day to give thanks. 


And with that I want to say Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends and family. Happy Holidays everyone!




Sincerely,
Kaley
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments or Questions? Feel free to ask here!