Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Simple

     Lately, things have been very simple. Not too busy, not too boring, just simple. I think that may partially be due to the fact that adjustment is taking place and I'm slowly marking my spot in the family. Like any exchange student and host family, there have been small disagreements, but so far, we have been able to solve them. I'm so appreciative to AFS for giving me such a helpful family.  
     Basically, my week goes as follows. I wake up around 5:30-6:00 AM (which is about the time my American friends and family will be winding down from work and school) and begin my day. I will shower and sometimes take a small breakfast. My Ibu cooks the breakfast. Sometimes it is fried rice, plain rice, or other types of rice, with fish, or chicken or eggs. After breakfast, I put on my school uniform, and sometimes I wear the tudung, or hijab. At around 7 AM, I salam my Ibu goodbye and head to school with my siblings. 
     At school, we begin with what is called assembly. All of the students line up in their classes, and attendence is taken. Instead of announcements in the morning via intercom or video, like in America, they are done with the whole school sitting outside in the school courtyard. Sometimes punishments to students who are late will happen during assembly. 
     After assembly, we leave to go to our classes. The classes are much different than American classes. Instead of moving from room to room, the students stay in one room together and the teachers move from room to room. Sometimes, if the teacher, or cikgu, has other things to do, or many papers to grade, they won't come to class and the students are expected to study and behave without a "babysitter". 
     All of my classes are taught in Bahasa Melayu, which makes school a sometimes frustrating task for me. However, I am making friends with some great people and I think that is what matters most. 
     At 11:00 my class has recess, which is 30 minutes to relax, go to the cantina and get food, or just stay in the class and finish work. Classes resume again until 2:40, except on Wednesdays on which they last until 5:00pm, and Fridays on which they last until 12:00pm. 
    My weekends are most often spent with my family. Sometimes we will go to the malls in town in Kuantan and shop and eat, and sometimes we will just go visit family members' homes.
    Thankfully, my Bahasa Melayu is getting better, and I can understand more when people speak slowly in conversation. This makes communication between my friends and family members fun and sometimes extremely humorous. 

I hope soon I am able to carry on a conversation in Malay! 




Thanks for reading, I'm sorry I haven't posted much lately. After my siblings complete their big exams, we will be able to do more together! But for now, they have to keep their head in the game.



Until next time,


-Kaley. 
(P.S. my sister and I dyed my hair black with henna...pretty cool!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments or Questions? Feel free to ask here!